Sneaker culture has evolved into a global phenomenon, with iconic models like the Air Jordan 1 leading the way. The Jordan 1, first released in 1985, continues to captivate sneaker enthusiasts and fashion-forward individuals alike. One key element that can significantly elevate your Jordan 1 game is the way you lace them. Proper lacing not only enhances the aesthetics of your kicks but also ensures a comfortable and secure fit. In this article, we will provide you with a detailed, step-by-step guide on how to lace your Jordan 1 sneakers like a pro.
Gather Your Materials
Before we dive into the lacing techniques, you’ll need to gather a few materials
- A pair of Jordan 1 sneakers Choose the colorway that suits your style.
- Laces You can stick with the stock laces that come with your Jordans or experiment with different colors and materials to customize your look.
- A flat surface A table or clean floor works best for this task.
- A little patience Lacing your sneakers neatly may take some time, especially if you’re new to the process.
Remove the Old Laces
If your Jordan 1 sneakers already have laces in them, start by removing them. This will give you a clean slate to work with and allow you to inspect the eyelets and tongue for any wear or damage.
Prepare Your Sneakers
Place your Jordan 1 sneakers on the flat surface with the toe boxes facing you. Ensure that both shoes are positioned symmetrically to maintain a uniform appearance when laced.
Begin with the Basic Crisscross
The classic criss cross lacing style is the most common method for Jordan 1 sneakers. Here’s how to do it
1. Take one lace end in each hand.
2. Insert one lace into the bottom eyelet from the outside in, leaving an equal length on both sides.
3. Take the other lace end and insert it into the opposite eyelet, crossing over the tongue and pulling it through from the outside.
4. Continue this crisscross pattern, alternating sides and feeding the lace through each eyelet until you reach the top.
Adjust the Tightness
As you lace up your sneakers, make sure they are snug but not overly tight. Adjust the tightness by pulling the laces gently after each pass through the eyelets. This will ensure a comfortable fit while maintaining the sleek look of your Jordan 1s.
Secure the Ends
Once you’ve reached the top eyelets, make sure both lace ends are of equal length. Tie a secure knot or bow to keep your sneakers in place. You can opt for a traditional bow or experiment with various lacing styles, such as the “bunny ears” method or the “lace lock” for added flair.
Customize Your Look
Now that you’ve laced up your Jordan 1s in the classic criss cross style, it’s time to add your personal touch. Here are a few lacing variations to consider
- High-Top vs. Low-Top Lacing Depending on your sneaker style, you can choose to lace your Jordan 1s high or low. Higher lacing provides better ankle support, while lower lacing offers a more relaxed look.
- Hidden Lace Knot Tuck the knot or bow under the tongue for a cleaner, streamlined appearance.
- Straight Bar Lacing Instead of a crisscross pattern, use a straight bar lacing style for a unique and minimalist look.
- Alternate Lace Colors Experiment with different lace colors to match your outfit or make a bold statement.
- Lace Accessories Add lace locks, lace jewels, or custom aglets for extra flair.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Should I lace my Jordan 1s?
The Air Jordan 1 in particular is one of the pairs that you often see laced a handful of ways, probably because they come unlaced out of the box. No way is necessarily more acceptable than the others. Some people choose to lace them up to the topmost eyelet and tie them tight for maximum security.
Can I wear Jordan 1 everyday?
Some users may find them comfortable to wear all day, every day, while others may find them uncomfortable. Ultimately, comfort is a personal preference and it’s important to try them on and walk around in them before making a purchase.
Lacing your Jordan 1 sneakers is more than just a functional necessity; it’s an art form that allows you to express your individual style. With the right materials, a bit of patience, and this step-by-step guide, you can lace your Jordan 1s like a pro. Whether you prefer the classic criss cross style or want to explore unique lacing variations, your Jordan 1s will become a canvas for your creativity and a testament to your sneaker passion. So, lace up and step out with confidence, knowing your kicks are not only comfortable but also a true reflection of your style.