Towels are a common sight in our daily lives, used for drying off after a shower, wrapping around our bodies at the beach, or even as decorative elements in bathrooms and spa settings. While most people are content with folding towels, there’s another method that not only keeps them tidy and well-organized but also adds a touch of elegance to your bathroom or linen closet – towel rolling. This article will explore the art of rolling towels and how to do it efficiently.
Why Roll Towels?
Before delving into the technique of rolling towels, let’s consider why you might want to choose rolling over folding. Rolling towels offers several advantages
- Space Efficiency Rolled towels take up less space compared to folded towels, making it ideal for small bathrooms or linen closets with limited storage.
- Aesthetic Appeal Rolled towels look visually appealing and can add a spa-like atmosphere to your bathroom. They also make for excellent decorative accents.
- Quick Accessibility Rolled towels are easy to grab and use, making them convenient for everyday use.
- Reduced Wrinkles Unlike folding, rolling minimizes creases and wrinkles in your towels, keeping them looking neat and fresh.
Step-by-Step Guide to Rolling Towels
- Gather Your Supplies To get started, gather the towels you wish to roll and a flat surface, like a countertop or table. Ensure your towels are clean and dry.
- Lay the Towel Flat Lay the towel on a flat surface, with the side you want to be on the outside facing down. Smooth out any wrinkles to ensure a neat roll.
- Fold in Half Fold the towel in half lengthwise, bringing one edge to meet the other. This will create a long, narrow strip of fabric.
- Fold in Half Again Fold the towel in half once more, bringing the new folded edge to the original folded edge. You should now have a smaller, thicker strip of fabric.
- Begin Rolling Starting from one end of the towel, roll it tightly towards the other end. The tighter you roll, the more compact and neat the result will be.
- Secure the Roll Once you’ve rolled the entire towel, you can secure it in place by tucking the loose end under the roll or by using a decorative ribbon or twine. Securing the roll ensures it won’t unravel when you store or display the towel.
- Repeat the Process Repeat this process for each towel you wish to roll, ensuring uniformity in size and tightness.
Tips for Perfectly Rolled Towels
- Consistency is Key For a neat and uniform look, ensure that all your towels are of the same size and type.
- Tight Rolls Rolling your towels tightly not only looks better but also helps them maintain their shape.
- Decorative Touch To add a touch of elegance, tie a decorative ribbon or twine around the rolled towel. This is especially useful if you’re using rolled towels for decorative purposes.
- Vertical or Horizontal Storage Rolled towels can be stored vertically in a container or horizontally on a shelf. Choose the method that suits your space and aesthetics.
- Color Coordination If you have a collection of towels in various colors, consider arranging them in an appealing color-coordinated order for an added visual impact.
- Labeling If you’re using rolled towels for different purposes (e.g., hand towels, bath towels, beach towels), consider labeling or color-coding them for easy identification.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Is it better to roll or fold towels?
The trifold, bifold and deep fold methods will save space on your closet shelves. However, the best space-saving towel folding method is the spa-style roll. Rolled towels take up significantly less space than flat folded towels. Rolled towels can be stored easily in other places if you have limited storage space.
What is a French fold towel?
Bring the right side of the towel towards the middle and fold the edge. Bring the left side of the towel towards the middle and fold the edge. Finally, fold the right side over the left side and smooth. So if your Laundry Life is needing a change of pace, try the French Fold.
Rolling towels is a simple yet effective way to elevate the functionality and aesthetics of your bathroom or linen closet. It maximizes space, keeps your towels looking neat, and adds a touch of elegance to your space. Whether you’re looking to impress your guests, maintain an organized linen closet, or just enjoy the therapeutic benefits of towel rolling, this method is a valuable addition to your household skills.
The art of towel rolling is not only about tidiness but also about creating a pleasant atmosphere. So, the next time you reach for a towel, consider rolling it to experience the convenience and beauty of this technique. With a little practice, you’ll be mastering the art of towel rolling in no time, leaving you with neatly rolled towels that are both practical and visually appealing.