Breastfeeding is a beautiful and essential part of the mother-baby bonding experience. However, it can also be challenging, especially when dealing with the never-ending demand for milk, sore nipples, or the fear of wasting precious liquid gold. That’s where the Haakaa comes to the rescue, serving as a versatile and efficient tool for breastfeeding mothers. In this article, we’ll explore what a Haakaa is, how to use it, and some helpful tips to maximise its benefits.
What is a Haakaa?
A Haakaa, pronounced as “hah-kah,” is a simple yet ingenious breast pump that has gained immense popularity among breastfeeding mothers. This soft, silicone device is designed to help collect breast milk effortlessly and efficiently. It has a compact, one-piece construction, making it easy to use, clean, and transport. While it doesn’t work like an electric breast pump, the Haakaa’s simplicity and affordability make it a fantastic addition to your breastfeeding arsenal.
How to Use a Haakaa
Using a Haakaa may seem straightforward, but understanding its proper usage can significantly enhance its effectiveness. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to use this breastfeeding aid
- Wash Your Hands Before handling any breast pump, it’s crucial to wash your hands thoroughly to maintain optimal hygiene.
- Prepare the Haakaa Ensure your Haakaa is clean and sterilised before every use. Check the Haakaa’s silicone flange for any tears or defects.Squeeze the base of the Haakaa to create a slight vacuum before placing it over your breast.
- Find a Comfortable Position Sit comfortably with good back support, or even lie down if you prefer.Use a nursing pillow or cushion for extra comfort and support.
- Apply the Haakaa Place the Haakaa over your breast, ensuring that your nipple is centred within the opening.Make sure the Haakaa is positioned securely without any gaps or air leakage. The flange should rest gently on your breast, forming a seal.
- Begin Gentle Suction Squeeze and release the base of the Haakaa to initiate gentle suction.You can also give it a few light squeezes to help draw out milk.
- Let It Collect Milk Allow the Haakaa to collect milk for several minutes or until it’s comfortably filled. You can adjust the suction strength as needed.If you’re using it on the opposite breast while nursing your baby, you’ll naturally let down milk.
- Empty and Store Once you’ve collected an amount of milk to your satisfaction, remove the Haakaa gently by breaking the suction seal.Carefully pour the collected milk into a storage container or breast milk bag.Don’t forget to label and store the milk according to safety guidelines.
- Clean the Haakaa Wash and sterilise your Haakaa after each use. It’s dishwasher-safe, but hand washing is just as effective.
Tips to Maximise the Benefits of Your Haakaa
Using a Haakaa efficiently can save you time and milk, making it a valuable tool in your breastfeeding journey. Here are some tips to help you get the most out of this device
Use It While Nursing
Attach the Haakaa to the breast not in use while nursing your baby on the other breast. This will catch let-down milk and maximise your milk supply.
Find the Right Suction Strength
Experiment with the level of suction that works best for you. The Haakaa is not meant to be as strong as an electric pump, so gentle suction usually yields the best results.
Use It Before or After Feeds
You can use the Haakaa before a feeding session to catch the initial let-down, or after feeding to collect any additional milk that may still be available.
Relaxation is key to successful milk expression. Find a peaceful environment, take deep breaths, and focus on your baby to encourage let-down.
- Stay Hydrated and Nourished Proper hydration and nutrition are essential for milk production. Drink plenty of water, and maintain a balanced diet to ensure a healthy milk supply.
- Get a Stand Invest in a Haakaa stand or suction base to prevent accidental spills. It will keep your Haakaa securely in place during use.
- Don’t Overuse It While the Haakaa is a handy tool, using it too frequently may result in an oversupply of milk, leading to potential issues like engorgement or plugged ducts. Use it judiciously and as needed.
- Share with Others If you find yourself with an excess of breast milk, consider donating it to a local milk bank or offering it to another mother in need.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How long should you leave the Haakaa on?
Gently hand express to stimulate let down. 5. Attach your pump and leave it to do its thing. for 5-10 minutes.
Do you have to wash Haakaa after every use?
Clean after each use. We strongly recommend cleaning and sterilising your Haakaa Breast Pump with any steam sterilising system or by boiling in water for 2-3 minutes.
The Haakaa is a game-changer for breastfeeding mothers, simplifying the process of milk expression and saving precious breast milk that might otherwise go to waste. By following the steps outlined in this article and implementing the tips provided, you can confidently incorporate the Haakaa into your breastfeeding routine. With its convenience, affordability, and impressive results, the Haakaa is a must-have tool for any breastfeeding mother looking to make her breastfeeding journey smoother and more efficient.
Read Also : How Many Fouls to Foul Out in the NBA?